Water Issues in an Emergency

Emergency Water Storage

In a disaster such as a large magnitude earthquake or severe flooding, water systems will most likely suffer damage and safe water will not be available. Be prepared by storing a supply of water for each family member. One gallon per person per day provides enough for drinking. Two to three gallons per person per day covers drinking, first aid, limited personal hygiene and cooking needs. Plan to have enough water for your family for at least 3 days. Consider water provisions for pets as well.


Water should be stored in plastic containers, preferably heavy opaque plastic with tight fitting, screw-on caps. Mark date on containers when stored and place in a cool dark location. Stored tap water should be replaced every six months. Unopened commercial bottled water can be stored for up to a year. If you need to consume water stored longer than these recommended times, use one of the methods described below to purify it. 

Read more: Water Issues in an Emergency

Media releases-Emergency Operations

During a declared emergency situation when the City of Napa has opened an Emergency Opertations Center, media releases will be posted here.

Emergency Preparedness

Ready To Ride It Out?citizensguidetofloodingcove.jpg

Can you go it alone for three days?Would you be ready to ride it out if an earthquake hit today? Would you be self sufficient after a major flood? With some basic planning and thinking ahead, preparing your home for a disaster is easy.

The City of Napa has prepared this guide to flooding - being prepared for floods, how to responed when floods occur, and what to do after the flood. 

Here are some general tips on what to do before, during and after an earthquake, flood or other disaster, developed by the California Governor's Office of Emergencies Services to help you get ready to ride it out. 

The first 72 hours after a disaster are critical. Electricity, gas, water and telephones may not be working. In addition, public safety service such as police, fire departments and public works personnel will be busy handling serious crisis. You should be prepared to be self sufficient (able to live without running water, electricity and/or gas, telephones and assistance from safety services) for at least three days following a disaster. To do so, keep on hand in a central location the following:

  • Food - Enough for 72 hours, preferably one week.
  • Water - Enough so each person has a gallon a day for 72 hours, preferably one week. Store in airtight container and replace it every six months.
  • First Aid Kit - Make sure it's well stocked, especially with bandages and disinfectants.
  • Fire Extinguisher - Your fire extinguisher should be suitable for all types of fires.
  • Flashlights with extra batteries. DO NOT use matches or candles after a disaster until you are certain there are no gas leaks.
  • Portable radio with extra batteries. Most telephones could be out of order after an earthquake. The radio will be your best source of information.
  • Extra blankets, clothing, shoes and money.
  • Alternative cooking source. Store a barbeque or camping stove for outdoor cooking.
  • Special items. Have at least a one week supply of medications and food for those with special needs.
  • Tools. Have an adjustable or pipe wrench for turning off the gas meter.

Get more information from:




Read more: Emergency Preparedness

Fair Political Practices Commission Reports


Consistent with state regulations, each person identified in the City of Napa Conflict of Interest Code as a "public official identified in California Government Code Section 87200" or as a "designated employee" shall file with the City Clerk a Statement of Economic Interests (Form 700). The Mayor and City Councilmembers are elected officers identified in Government Code Section 87200 and file statements of economic interest forms with the City Clerks Office. Copies of the statements filed by the City Council may be obtained by visiting the Fair Political Practices Commission at www.fppc.ca.gov, located: 428 J Street, Suite 620, Sacramento, CA 95814 or the Office of the City of Napa City Clerk located: 955 School Street, Napa, CA 94559.

Below are the City of Napa elected officials identified in Section 87200:
-Jill Techel, Mayor
-Juliana Inman, Vice Mayor
-Doris Gentry, Councilmember
-Peter Mott, Councilmember
-Scott Sedgley, Councilmember

The Annual Statement of Economic Interests is due April 3, 2017. The period covered is calendar year 2016.

Questions regarding schedules and disclosures should be addressed to the FPPC staff; 866-275-3772, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., or http://www.fppc.ca.gov/

Mail or deliver completed Forms to: City of Napa, Office of the City Clerk, 955 School Street, Napa, CA 94559


Form 806 Agency Report of: Public Official Appointments

Fair Political Practices Commission Form 806 is used to report additional compensation that officials receive when appointing themselves to positions on committees, boards, or commissions, of a public agency, special district, and joint powers agency or authority.



City Charter

The City of Napa is a Charter City. The City's Charter document outlines the principles, functions, and organization of the City of Napa government.

Read more: City Charter

Master Fee Schedule

Master Fee Schedule (information located on Finance Department page)