Water Efficient Landscape Ordinance (WELO)
Effective December 1, 2015, the City of Napa Water Efficient Landscape Ordinance (WELO) meets the requirements of the 2015 State Model WELO. The ordinance establishes a structure for planning, designing, installing, and maintaining water efficient landscapes in new construction and rehabilitated landscape projects that require a building or grading permit, plan check, or design review.
As described in Napa Municipal Code Section 17.52.520, projects covered by WELO include:
- New construction projects with Landscape Area greater than or equal to 500 square feet
- Rehabilitated landscape projects with Landscape Area greater than or equal to 2,500 square feet
Prior to permit issuance, covered projects must submit required components of a Landscape Documentation Package such as project information sheet, landscape design plan, irrigation design plan, and a worksheet showing that the landscape's Estimated Total Water Use (ETWU) is less than its Maximum Applied Water Allowance (MAWA). Applicants must also pay a Water Efficient Landscape Review Fee of $225 or $400. Upon installation of the landscape, applicant must submit a Certificate of Completion accompanied by an Irrigation Audit Report and Maintenance Schedule. Complete WELO requirements are detailed in the current City of Napa Water Efficient Landscape Guidelines (December 2015). Please note that new construction projects with landscape area less than 2,500 square feet may meet WELO via the simpler Alternative Compliance Option.
- City of Napa Water Efficient Landscape Guidelines
- Landscape Documentation Package Checklist
- Project Information Sheet
- Water Efficient Landscape Worksheet
- Select 'Oakville' (ETo = 47.70):
- Residential Water Budget Calculation Worksheets (Excel)
- Non-Residential Water Budget Calculation Worksheets (Excel)
- Certificate of Completion
- Alternative Compliance Option for Projects under 2,500 sq. ft.
- WELO Update Hearing (December 2015)