The Housing Authority of the City of Napa (HACN) administers rental assistance programs throughout the City for low-income seniors, families, and persons with disabilities. Housing Division staff assure that Section 8 assisted housing is safe and of quality by requiring owners to meet Housing Quality Standards and local code.

The Section 8 Rental Assistance Program is designed to assist eligible low-income families throughout Napa County. The Section 8 program is funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). The purpose of the program is to provide rental subsidy to very low-income families. A portion of the family's monthly rent is paid in the form of a subsidy directly to the landlord by the Housing Authority. Participants pay approximately thirty percent of their adjusted gross income to the landlord for rent. The balance of the rent is paid by the Housing Authority.





Join the City of Napa Planning and Housing Divisions, Lilypad Homes, and Napa Valley Community Housing for an informational workshop on creating a rental unit on your property and the City’s new Junior Unit Initiative Program.  For more information:

English  Spanish


Section 8 Waiting List Applicants

Section 8 Recipients

· Information Topics·
Special Programs



Income Limits:

To be eligible for Section 8 Rental Assistance,a household must earn less than 50% of area median income.

Fair Market Rents and Payment Standards:

Fair Market Rents (FMR's) are gross rent estimates determined by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and are used to determine payment standard amounts for the Housing Choice Voucher program.  

Payment Standards are set at between 90-110% of the Fair Market Rents and are used to calculate the housing assistance payment that the Housing Authority of the City of Napa pays to the owner on behalf of the family leasing the unit. 

Click here to view the Payment Standards

(Back to top)

How landlords submit rental properties:

Advertising and locating property has never been easier!

The Housing Authority of the City of Napa has partnered with, which provides an enhanced program to list rental properties on-line.  Listings are available to potential Housing Choice Voucher tenants seeking apartment units, duplexes, single-family homes or townhomes in the private market.  If you have any questions regarding registering, creating or viewing property listings, please call the GoSection8 toll free help line at 1-866-466-7328.

Tenants click here.

Landlords click here.

*It is recommended that Landlords add photos to their listing for better advertising and faster lease up!



(Back to top)

Utility Allowance Information:

These charts provide information on Utility Allowances for participants on the Section 8 program.

2017 Utility Allowance Chart
2016 Utility Allowance Chart
2015 Utility Allowance Chart 
2014 Utility Allowance Chart
2013 Utility Allowance Chart

·(Back to top)


 Waiting List Information:

The waiting list is currently closed.

Our waiting period is averaging 6 years if you live or work in Napa County. If you are not a Resident of Napa County the waiting period is over 6 years.  The Housing Authority of the City of Napa is unable to tell you exactly how long the wait will be and how long the wait will be in the future.  Length of wait depends on yearly funding, the number of people leaving the program and individual preferences such as residency, veterans, etc. Applicants must meet Income Guidelines for their family size.

The Housing Authority conducts a background check regarding participation in drug-related or violent criminal activity and sexual offenses by applicants. Current HUD regulations bar admittance to the program for applicants who have participated in certain drug-related or violent criminal activity and sexual offenses. If the applicant family owes the Housing Authority of the City of Napa money from past participation in the program, the entire amount must be repaid before admittance to the Waiting List will be approved.


If your mailing address changes or you have changes in your circumstances it is very important that you notify the Housing Authority in writing. If you do not notify the Housing Authority of these changes, the Housing Authority is not responsible.  The Housing Authority does not accept responsibility for mail delays or forwarding orders.


Change of Address 

If you have a change of address, you have two options: 


Please email the following information This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.:


You may also click here to print the online form.

This is a Change of Address/Information Form only for individuals and families currently on the Section 8 Waiting List.  Do not fill out this form unless you are already on the Waiting List.

(Back to top)

Rental Assistance Program Rules and Regulations:

A. The Family MUST:

1. Supply any information that HUD or our office determines to be necessary to establish your continued eligibility. This includes information for use in a regularly scheduled reexamination or interim reexamination of family income and composition. All of the information that you provide must be true and complete.
2. Disclose and verify social security numbers and sign release forms to verify your information.
3. Supply any information requested by our office to verify that you are living in the unit or information related to your absence from the unit.
4. Obtain written approval from our office when you are going to be away from the unit for an extended period of time.
5. Allow our office to inspect your rental at reasonable times and after reasonable notice.
6. Notify our office and the property manager or owner in writing before moving out of the unit or terminating the lease.
7. Use the assisted unit for residence by your family only. The unit must be your only residence.
8. Promptly notify our office in writing of the birth, adoption, or court awarded custody of a child.
9. Request and obtain our written approval to add any other family member as an occupant of the unit.
10. Promptly notify our office in writing when a family member moves out of your unit.
11. Give our office a copy of any eviction notice provided by the property manager or owner.
12. Pay utility bills and supply appliances that the property manager or owner is not required to supply under the lease. Maintain your unit in a clean and sanitary manner.

B. The Family (Including Each Family Member) MUST NOT:

1. Own or have any interest in the unit (other than in a cooperative, or the property manager or owner of a manufactured home leasing a manufactured home space).
2. Commit any serious or repeated violations of the lease.
3. Commit fraud, bribery or any other corrupt or criminal act in connection with the program.
4. Participate in illegal drug or violent criminal activity.
5. Sublease or let the unit or assign the lease or transfer the unit.
6. Receive Section 8 tenant-based program housing assistance while receiving another housing subsidy for the same unit or a different unit under any other Federal, State or local housing assistance program.
7. Damage the unit or premises (other than damage from ordinary wear and tear) or permit any guest to damage the unit or premises.
8. Receive Section 8 tenant-based program housing assistance while residing in a unit owned by a parent, child, grandparent, grandchild, sister or brother of any member of the family, unless the HA has determined (and has notified the owner and the family of such determination) that approving rental of the unit, notwithstanding such relationship, would provide reasonable accommodation for a family member who is a person with disabilities.
9. Engage in any illegal use of a controlled substance; or abuse alcohol that threatens the health and safety or right to peaceful enjoyment of the premises by other residents.

For more information on Federal Regulations, contact Housing And Urban Development at .

(Back to top)

Understanding HUD's Housing Quality Standards (HQS) regulations:

Before rental assistance can be approved, the rental unit must pass a Housing Quality Standards Inspection.

In order to perform a move-in inspection, the Housing Authority requires:

1. Gas, electricity and water utilities must be turned on.
2. Unit must be in condition for tenant to move in.

To expedite the Inspection process, we recommend that the items listed below are in place and in good condition before scheduling an inspection.

a. It is recommended that you correct paint deficiencies before the inspection. Painted surfaces must be free of chipped, peeling, flaking, cracked or deteriorated paint. Dwelling units constructed before 1978 occupied by a family that includes a child under the age of six years, must be tested for the presence of lead-based paint if chipped, peeling, flaking, cracked or deteriorated paint conditions are noted during the inspection.

b. All doors leading to the exterior and garage (if attached) must have a single-keyed deadbolt (lever inside/ keyed outside). Sliding glass doors do not require a deadbolt, but must be lockable.

c. All windows must be lockable and free from defects. If the window is designed to open and close, it must function in this manner. At least one window per room must have a properly fitting screen in good condition.

d. On each level of the unit there must be at least one working, testable smoke alarm.

e. All floor covering must be secured to the floor to prevent tripping hazards.

f. All outlets (110v/120v) in proper operating condition, switch plates, outlets and covers must be intact. Cracked covers are a "fail" item.

g. All plumbing must be in good working order with no leaks.

h. All hot water heaters must have a pressure relief valve and discharge line. TPR valve discharge pipe must be made of galvanized steel, hard drawn copper, or CPVC (regular PVC tubing will not withstand high temperatures.)  Hot water heaters must be enclosed if installed in the living area of the unit. Hot water heaters must be strapped or braced at the top and bottom of the heater.

i. If heating source is a wall furnace, unit must be clean and exterior panel secured to the wall.

j. Before the unit can pass inspection, we must verify that all appliances are in working order. If the landlord provides the stove and refrigerator, it must be in the unit and in good working order. If the tenant is responsible for providing the stove and/or refrigerator, we must verify that they are in good working order.

k. Unit must have a carbon monoxide detector.  Carbon monoxide alarms should be installed and maintained in the following locations.  Outside of each separate dwelling unit sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of the bedrooms.  A detector should not be placed within 15 feet of any fuel burning appliance.  On every level of a dwelling unit including basements.

Under HUD regulations, for the rental assistance to continue, the rental unit must be inspected at least once annually. If a unit fails the HQS inspection, the property owner is given notice and adequate time to complete repairs.

Housing Quality Standards Inspections are conducted following HUD Regulations.

For more detailed information, we recommend you read "A Good Place to Live."

(Back to top)

Understanding the lease and/or rental agreement approval process:

When a family has qualified for rental assistance, a Voucher and Request for Tenancy (RFTA) form are issued. After families are issued an RFTA, they may search for a unit anywhere within the Housing Authority's jurisdiction. The family must find an eligible unit under the program rules with an owner who is willing to enter into a Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) Contract with the Housing Authority(HA).

For review of the Request for Tenancy Approval:

Rent comparables are required to justify the amount of rent the owner is requesting for his unit. The HA will make a determination as to the reasonableness of the proposed rent in relation to:

The HA will review the lease. Responsibility for utilities, appliances and optional services must correspond to those provided on the Request for Tenancy Approval form.

The Housing Assistance Payment from the Housing Authority shall be made effective according to the following criteria:

(Back to top)

Understanding the Transfer Process for Section 8 benefits:

Transfer Within the City and County of Napa

Step One:

Step Two:

Transfer Outside the City and County of Napa

Families requesting to transfer their Section 8 assistance from the jurisdiction of the City of Napa Housing Authority to another jurisdiction are handled differently from those requesting a transfer from one unit to another within Napa.

Step One:

It is the family's responsibility to contact the Housing Authority to initiate the transfer process.

The family must submit a written request to transfer out of our jurisdiction.

Step Two:

The family will be issued a portability Voucher.  All Section 8 Vouchers issued to participants leaving our jurisdiction are valid for sixty (60) to one-hundred-twenty (120) days.

Restrictions on Transferring Section 8 Rental Assistance

Families in violation of family obligations will not be permitted to transfer their Section 8 assistance to another unit or jurisdiction. Families owing balances to the HA will not be permitted to transfer their Section 8 assistance to another unit or jurisdiction until the balance is paid in full.

(Back to top)

Answers to commonly asked questions regarding evictions of Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) tenants:

Q: What grounds can I use for evicting my Section 8 tenant?

A: Any serious or repeated violation of the lease is grounds for eviction. This is the same as on an open market lease or rental agreement.

Q: I have never had to evict a Section 8 tenant before. What steps do I need to take?

A: We strongly suggest you seek legal counsel before issuing a 3-day or thirty-day Notice, thus starting the eviction process.
Send a copy of any Notice to the Housing Authority. The copy of the Notice for the Housing Authority must include the lease violations (also known as "cause") that prompted the Notice.  You should cite the section of the lease that has been violated and give dates and specific examples of the violation(s).   If the tenant complies, no further action is needed. If the tenant does not comply, follow up by taking appropriate legal steps. We strongly suggest you seek legal counsel for these steps.  A copy of each legal document should be given to the Housing Authority.  This includes Summons and Complaint, Unlawful Detainer judgment and/or Right of Possession. Please keep in mind that an eviction goes on your tenant's credit report and may impact their ability to rent future dwellings. We urge you to use care in implementing this step.  It should only be used for serious and repeated violations of the lease.  If you simply wish to no longer rent to the tenant, or have a reason to stop participating in the Housing Choice Voucher Program, a Ninety-Day Notice should be utilized.

Q: What if my Section 8 tenant vacated the unit before the eviction process is completed?

A: The tenant and owner may mutually agree to break the lease on a specific date to expedite the move out and to save the owner on eviction costs. A copy of the mutual agreement must be sent to our office.

Q: Must I always evict to get a Section 8 tenant to move out?

A: After the first term of the assisted lease or rental agreement, you may serve a 90-Day Notice to vacate to your tenant at any time. You do not have to state cause. However, if the tenant does not move out, you will have to go through legal eviction. Most tenants will move on the 90-day notice. Remember to send us a copy of the 90-day notice you serve on your tenant. We strongly suggest you seek legal counsel for these steps.

Q: I was intending to evict my Section 8 tenant but before I could do so the tenant moved out.· No written notice of intent to vacate was served by the tenant. When will the HA cancel the contract?

A: The effective date of the cancellation of the contract will be the end of the month in which the tenant moved out.

Q: How does my evicting a Section 8 tenant help me?

A: Evicting a Section 8 tenant can help you in several ways. Families get the message when owners display no tolerance for serious or repeated violations of the lease. They want to keep their Section 8 assistance and not place it in jeopardy. When tenants learn by your actions that you do enforce your leases, and are not reticent to go through eviction if needed, they have a greater incentive to abide by the terms of the lease.

(Back to top)

Reporting Fraud against HUD Rental Assistance Programs:

If you suspect that someone is committing fraud against the Housing Choice Voucher Program, you can take the· following actions.

The OIG Hotline take reports of fraud, waste, abuse, and serious mismanagement in HUD-funded programs and operations and refer such allegations to OIG investigators and auditors, or to HUD program officials to ensure that allegations of wrongdoing are independently addressed.

(Back to top)

Information on other types of housing assistance, and resources in the Napa Valley:

These resources are given to assist you in locating services available in the Napa County area.  These sites are maintained by other agencies.  For questions concerning them, please contact the individual agencies listed.

Affordable Housing Online

American Canyon Family Resource Center

Becoming Independent

Calistoga Affordable Housing

Catholic Charities

Community Resources for Children

Disability Services & Legal Center

Fair Housing Napa Valley

Habitat for Humanity

Housing and Urban Development (Current HUD regulations are available here.)

Housing and Urban Development's Rental Page

Humane Society

Napa County Health and Human Services

Napa Emergency Womens Services (NEWS)

Napa Valley Community Housing

National Council on Aging "Benefits Checkup"

North Bay Housing Coalition

Progress Foundation

Technical Assistance Collaborative

If you are an agency that provides housing services and would like to be listed on this page, contact the Housing Authority at 707-257-9543.

(Back to top)

Current HUD Regulations for the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program:

Click here to link to the HUD Regulations.·

(Back to top)

The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) and the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program: 

A Public Housing Agency (PHA), owner or landlord may not deny admission to an applicant (male or female) who has been a victim of domestic violence, dating violence or stalking if the applicant otherwise qualifies for assistance or admission. This applies to all tenants, not just those on Section 8.

To qualify for housing choice voucher assistance, all applicants, including victims of domestic violence, dating violence or stalking, must, at a minimum:

Reporting incidents of domestic violence, dating violence or stalking to law enforcement, victim’s rights advocates, and the PHA may help preserve your housing rights. The PHA may not deny, remove or terminate assistance to a victim of domestic violence, dating violence or stalking based solely on such an incident or threat.

The PHA, an owner or landlord may deny, remove, or terminate assistance to an individual perpetrator of such actions and continue to allow the victim or other household members to remain in the dwelling unit or receive housing assistance. This does not limit the authority of the PHA, owner or landlord to terminate your assistance for other criminal activity or good cause.

A Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Participant who is a victim of domestic violence, dating violence or stalking may request and be granted portability due to the incident or threat if they are otherwise compliant with all program obligations and the perpetrator has moved out of the dwelling unit.

In processing a request by a victim for continued assistance or for portability, the PHA may request that you certify that you are a victim of domestic violence, dating violence or stalking, and that the actual or threatened abuse meets the requirements set forth in the VAWA. Such certification must include the name of the perpetrator. If you do not provide the requested certification within 14 business days, your assistance may be terminated.

Any information provided pursuant to the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) shall neither be entered into any shared database nor provided to any related entity, except to the extent that disclosure is requested or consented to by the individual in writing; required for use in an eviction proceeding of an abuser, stalker or perpetrator of domestic violence; or is otherwise required by applicable law.

For more information on the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA):

Call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-safe (7233) or 1-800-787-3224 (TTY) or go to
Call the HUD housing discrimination hotline 1-800-669-9777
Call Fair Housing Napa Valley· 707-224-9720 at 1804 Soscol Ave, Napa or visit
Call Nurturing Empowerment Worth Safety 707-255-6397 or

Notice to Housing Choice Voucher Applicants and Tenants

Notice to Housing Choice Voucher Owners and Managers
(Back to top)


Understanding the Shelter Plus Care Program:

The Shelter Plus Care Program offers rental assistance in combination with supportive services from other sources, to assist homeless people with disabilities, primarily those with serious mental illness, chronic problems with alcohol and/or drugs, and acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS), and related diseases.  


Referrals to this program must be made through Health and Human Services. Applicants must continue to receive supportive services from the referring agency and must qualify under the Section 8 criteria.


The Shelter Plus Care Program is a five-year program in cooperation with Health and Human Services.  This program assists approximately 10 households.

The Shelter Plus Care Program is a part of the Supportive Housing Program sponsored by the Napa County Homeless Services Planning Council - Continuum of Care. For additional information, please contact Amanda Jones at 707-259-8682.

(Back to top)

Understanding the Mainstream Voucher Program:

The Mainstream Voucher Program offers Vouchers to persons with a disability.· This program receives special funding from the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).· The Mainstream Program is a partnership between the Housing Authority and agencies in Napa County who provide supportive services to persons with disabilities.··This program currently offers thirty Vouchers to persons with disabilities. For further information on this program, contact Mary Eble, Project Coordinator, North Bay Housing Coalition, 707-259-6121.

(Back to top)

Understanding the Family Unification Program

The Family Unification Program (FUP) is a special set-aside of Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers designated specifically to assist families who are separated or are facing separation due to lack of adequate housing and youth transitioning out of foster care. The program involves cooperation between the Housing Authority of the City of Napa and the Health & Human Services Department

Who is eligible?

1. Families for whom the lack of adequate housing is a primary factor in:  The imminent placement of the family's child or children in out-of-home care or the delay in the discharge of the child or children to the family from out-of-home care.  There is no limitation on FUP family vouchers. 

2. Youth who are at least 18 years old and not more than 21 years old who left foster care at age 16 or older and who lack adequate housing.  FUP vouchers used by youth are limited, by statue to 36 months of housing assistance.  

These families must be referred by a Human Services System representative and meet all Section 8 Program qualifications.  Participants in the Family Unification Program are encouraged to enroll in the Family Self-Sufficiency Program.

How is an application made?

The Family Unification Program is based on referrals from Human Services System representatives.

What is the process?

Once a referral is received by the Housing Authority from the Human Services System representative, an appointment is set up for the client to determine eligibility for the Section 8 Program. For additional information, please contact Maria Fernandez 707-299-2139.

(Back to top)