Tuesday, August 26, 2014
Pacific Gas and Electric Company is reporting that electric service is restored for 70,000 customers affected by Sunday’s Napa County earthquake. The company continues to conduct gas safety surveys in the areas impacted by the Napa County earthquake. The company is also conducting extensive sweeps of the impacted communities using state-of-the-art leak detection vehicles to assess for distribution line leaks. Any leaks that are identified will be repaired immediately by onsite crews. PG&E will also conduct courtesy gas safety checks at homes and businesses throughout the impacted area. These checks will continue over the next several days. Any customers who have concerns about their services should contact us at 1-800-743-5002.
If you smell gas or are experiencing another electric or gas service emergency as a result of this earthquake, please call 1-800-743-5002 immediately.
PG&E offers the following natural gas safety tips:
- Customers without gas service are asked to stay as close to home as possible so that service can be restored when a PG&E representative arrives. If no one is at home, the representative will leave a notice with a number that customers can call to schedule a return visit.
- If you suspect a gas leak, do not use electrical switches, appliances, telephones or anything with an open flame, because sparks can ignite gas from broken lines. Once you shut off the gas, do not turn it back on. Contact PG&E or another qualified professional to perform a safety inspection before gas service is restored and appliance pilots are lit.
- If you smell or hear gas escaping, and are able to do so safely, shut off the gas at the main service valve using a 12- to 15-inch adjustable pipe or crescent-type wrench or other suitable tool. The valve is normally located near your gas meter. Check for building damage. If you smell or hear escaping gas, get everyone outside. Find a phone away from the building to call 911, PG&E (1-800-743-5002) and the fire department immediately.
If the earthquake has caused downed power lines or an outage, PG&E offers the following safety tips:
- If you have a generator, inform PG&E and do not use it unless it is installed safely and properly. If it is not, you risk damaging your property and endangering yourself and PG&E line workers who may be working on nearby power lines.
- Information on the safe installation of generators can be found on our website at www.pge.com/generator.
- Fill used liter-size plastic soda bottles with water and place them in the freezer. During an extended outage, transfer them to your refrigerator to prevent food from spoiling. Open the refrigerator only when necessary to keep warm air out and cooler air in.
- Have a cell phone or hard-wire, single-line telephone on hand. Cordless phones will not work without electricity.
- Have battery-operated flashlights with fresh batteries on hand. Have battery-operated radios with fresh batteries ready for updates on earthquake response and power outages. If your power goes out, turn off or unplug all electric appliances; otherwise, several appliances may come back on at once and overload your circuits when power is restored. Hot appliances also pose a fire hazard if they come back on while you’re away or asleep. Leave a single lamp on to alert you when power returns.
- Turn your appliances back on one at a time when conditions return to normal. Do not use candles because of the risk of fire. If you must use candles, use extreme caution. Do not use candles near drapes or under lampshades. Keep candles away from small children and do not leave candles unattended. If you see a downed power line, assume it is “live” or carrying electric current. Do not touch or try to move it—and keep children and animals away. Report downed power lines immediately by calling 911 and by calling PG&E at 1-800-743-5002.